Make your own free website on

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History of the USS SHAW DD-373
The second Shaw (DD-373) was laid down on 1 October 1934 at the
United States Navy Yard, Philadelphia, Pa.; launched on 28 
October 1935; sponsored by Miss Dorothy L. Tinker; and 
commissioned on 18 September 1936, Lt. Comdr. E.A. Mitchell in 

Following commissioning, Shaw remained at Philadelphia until 
April 1937 when she crossed the Atlantic on her shakedown 
cruise. Returning to Philadelphia on 18 June, she commenced a 
year of yard work to correct deficiencies before completing 
acceptance trials in June 1938. Shaw conducted training 
exercises in the Atlantic for the remainder of the year. She 
then transited to the Pacific and underwent overhaul at Mare 
Island from 8 January to 4 April 1939.

Shaw remained on the west coast until April 1940 participating 
in various exercises and providing services to carriers and 
submarines operating in the area. In April she sailed for Hawaii 
where she participated in Fleet Problem XXI, an eight phased 
operation for the defense of the Hawaiian area. She remained in 
the Hawaiian area until November when she returned to the west 
coast for overhaul.

Back in the Hawaiian area by mid-February 1941, Shaw operated in 
those waters until November when she entered the Navy Yard at 
Pearl Harbor for repairs, dry docking in YFD-2.

On 7 December, Shaw was still dry docked. During the Japanese 
attack, she took three hits: two bombs through the forward 
machine gun platform, and one through the port wing of the 
bridge. Fires spread through the ship. By 0925, all fire 
fighting facilities were exhausted, and the order to abandon 
ship was given. Efforts to flood the dock were only partially 
successful; and, shortly after 0930, Shaw's forward magazine 
blew up.

Temporary repairs were made at Pearl Harbor during December 1941 
and January 1942. On 9 February, Shaw sailed for San Francisco 
where she completed repairs, including the installation of a new 
bow, at the end of June. Following training in the San Diego 
area, Shaw returned to Pearl Harbor on 31 August. For the next 
two months, she escorted convoys between the west coast and 
Hawaii. In mid-October, as a unit of a carrier force centered on 
Enterprise, she departed Pearl Harbor and headed west. 
Rendezvousing with a carrier force centered on Hornet, the two 
carrier groups amalgamated as Task Force 61 and moved north of 
the Santa Cruz Islands to intercept enemy forces headed for 

By mid-morning on the 26th, both carrier groups were under 
attack. As an accompanying ship, Porter (DD-356), stopped to 
pick up survivors from a downed torpedo plane, she was 
torpedoed. Shaw went to Porter's assistance. Half an hour later, 
she was ordered to take off Porter's crew and sink the disabled 
destroyer. Periscope sightings followed by depth charge attacks 
delayed execution of the mission. By noon, however, the transfer 
was completed. An hour later Porter was gone, and Shaw left the 
scene to rejoin the task force.

Two days later, Shaw headed for the New Hebrides where she 
commenced escorting ships moving men and supplies to 
Guadalcanal. She continued that duty through November and 
December and into January 1943. On 10 January, while entering 
Noumea harbor, New Caledonia, Shaw grounded on Sournois Reef. 
She was freed on the 15th, but extensive damage to her hull, 
propellers, and sound gear necessitated temporary repairs at 
Noumea followed by lengthy repairs and rearmament at Pearl 
Harbor which took her through September.

On 6 October Shaw headed west again, reaching Noumea on the 18th 
and Milne Bay New Guinea, on the 24th. Now a unit of the 7th 
amphibious Force, Shaw escorted reinforcements to Lae and 
Finsehhafen for the remainder of October and during November. 
Following an unsuccessful diversionary assault by Army troops 
against Umtingalu, New Britain, on 15 December, Shaw recovered 
survivors from two rubber boats and escorted Westralia and 
Carter Hall back to Buna, New Guinea.

On 25 December, Shaw escorted units engaged in the assault 
against Cape Gloucester, where she provided gunfire support and 
served as fighter director ship. On the 26th, Shaw sustained 
casualties and damage when attacked by two "Vals." Thirty-six 
men were injured, three of whom later died of their wounds. Shaw 
returned to Cape Sudest, New Guinea, on the 27th; transferred 
her wounded and dead to shore facilities there, and continued on 
to Milne Bay for temporary repairs. Permanent repairs were 
completed at Hunter's Point, San Francisco, on 1 May 1944.

Shaw returned to Pearl Harbor on the 10th, joined the 5th Fleet 
there, and sailed for the Marshalls on the 15th. She got 
underway from the Marshalls on 11 June with TF-52 to engage in 
the assault on Saipan. Four days later, the attack began. For 
the next three and one-half weeks, the destroyer rotated between 
screening and call fire support duties. In mid-July, she was 
back in the Marshalls. On the 18th, Shaw got underway to return 
to the Marianas with the Guam assault force. During the action 
that followed, she performed escort and patrol duties.

Shaw departed the Marianas on 23 September. Following a tender 
repair availability at Eniwetok, she rejoined the 7th Amphibious 
Force on 20 October and headed for Leyte Gulf on the 25th. 
Convoy escort duties between the Philippines and New Guinea 
involved Shaw until the invasion of Luzon took place at Lingayen 
Gulf on 9 January 1945. From the 9th to the 15th, she performed 
screening, call fire support, night illumination, and shore 
bombardment missions. Following this operation, Shaw was 
involved in the recapture of Manila Bay. After the Luzon 
operations, she supported the assault and occupation of Palawan 
during the period from 28 February to 4 March.

In early April, she operated in the Visayans, setting two 
Japanese barges on fire off Bohol on 2 April. Damaged soon 
thereafter on an uncharted pinnacle, she underwent temporary 
repairs. On the 25th, she sailed for the United States. Shaw 
arrived in San Francisco on 19 May. Repairs and alterations took 
her into August. The work was accomplished on the 20th. She then 
departed for the east coast. On arrival at Philadelphia, she was 
routed to New York for deactivation. Decommissioned on 2 October 
1945, her name was struck from the Navy list two days later. Her 
hulk was scrapped in July 1946.

Shaw earned eleven battle stars during World War II.


Mail any comments or questions to Scott Davis All right reserved Copyright 1997 - 2010